Wed January 13 02:59 pm 2021 in categories Product news, Company news
Meet the Passenger Tire Protected by the Same Material Found in Bulletproof Vests
Nokian Tyres has launched an all-season tire with one-of-a-kind pothole protection
DAYTON, Tenn. – The same fiber that reinforces bulletproof vests and spacecraft landing cushions is now being used to protect drivers of passenger cars from potholes.
Nokian Tyres, a global tire company with a growing presence in North America, is using Aramid fiber in a passenger tire for the first time, its new Nokian Tyres One. The goal: to strengthen the tire’s sidewalls and guard against potholes and other road hazards.
As a global leader in safety and sustainability, the company is so confident in the Nokian Tyres One that it’s providing a Pothole Protection warranty to drivers who purchase the tire. If a road hazard damages the tire beyond repair, Nokian Tyres will replace it at no cost.
“We’ve crafted the Nokian Tyres One to give drivers peace of mind in the moments they need it most, especially when they encounter an unexpected pothole or rough road,” said Nokian Tyres North America Director of Products Steve Bourassa. “Drivers can take comfort that the Nokian Tyres One features Aramid Sidewalls that give drivers Pothole Protection and peace of mind on North America’s jaw-rattling roads.”
The Nokian Tyres One is exclusively for sale in North America and produced at the company’s state-of-the-art factory in Dayton, Tennessee, as well as its two factories in Europe. It is available for sale at tire dealerships across the United States and Canada (here’s a dealer locator with more information)
Nokian Tyres invented the winter tire and has long been renowned for its innovation. It has previously introduced the same Aramid Sidewall technology in light truck, SUV, van and camper tires, but this is the first time it has embedded Aramid fibers in a passenger tire.
The light truck version of the tire, the Nokian Tyres One HT, even has Aramid beneath the tread belt, an innovation that makes it more than 20 percent less likely to puncture when it encounters a road hazard, compared to a previous product. The company launched that tire in 2020.
The Nokian Tyres One also includes other innovations designed to provide a safe, durable, sustainable driving experience. Its proprietary compound and tread pattern bring elite grip and handling on wet roads. The tire’s rugged construction allows it to carry a high mileage warranty – 80,000 miles or 130,000 kilometers. And the Nokian Tyres One boasts low rolling resistance, a benefit that maximizes fuel economy and lowers harmful emissions.
The new all-season tire is the latest step in Nokian Tyres’ growth journey in North America, where it opened a LEED v4 Silver-certified factory in 2019 and continues to expand its presence in the all-season, all-weather and winter tire markets.
To learn more about the Nokian Tyres One, click here.
Nokian Tyres One: Durability, Safety and Sustainability for North American Drivers
The One for Safety
- Improvements in wet braking and wet handling
- Even wear thanks to a symmetrical, non-directional tread pattern
- Zig-zag siping and block supports for grip and handling
- High-volume water pockets built to navigate rainy roads
The One for Durability
- The first Nokian Tyres passenger product with Aramid Sidewall technology
- Pothole Protection warranty
- Toughness and longevity via a high-silica compound and strong shoulder construction
The One for Sustainability
- Low rolling resistance
- Crafted at some of the most sustainability tire production factories in the world
- Crafted by a global leader in sustainability
The One for North American Drivers
- The most comfortable all-season passenger tire Nokian Tyres has introduced in North America
- Reductions in exterior and interior noise
- Wide size range that forms a powerline with the Nokian Tyres One HT
- Driving Safety Indicator that tracks tire wear