Tue April 21 10:19 am 2020 in category Company news
Nokian Tyres Reduces Emissions, Makes Prestigious Sustainability List Again in 2019
Environmental and community efforts highlight the company’s 2019 sustainability report
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nokian Tyres reduced carbon-dioxide emissions from its global factories by 44 percent in the last six years, according to an annual sustainability report released by the company. The reduction in greenhouse gases is one of many achievements outlined in the report, following a year that saw the company once again named among the world’s top ten percent of most sustainable publicly traded companies by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
Other 2019 achievements highlighted in the report include:
- Recycling 100 percent of production waste at the company’s factory in Nokia, Finland, where 42 percent of all energy used comes from renewable sources
- Lowering the use of municipal water at its global factories by 38 percent over the last six years, exceeding the company’s goal of 25 percent
- Rising to the silver class of the RobecoSAM Sustainability Yearbook
- Reducing lost-time accidents at its global factories by 51 percent, while suffering zero serious accidents
- Launching the Nokian Tyres Road to Sustainable Success, a three-pronged initiative that will support education, fund scholarships and promote sustainability in Southeast Tennessee
- Community impact via donations committees in each of the company’s three North American locations, including education support, environmental cleanup and provision of food for families in need
- Joining the General Platform for Sustainable Natural Rubber (GPSNR), which advocates for a fair, equitable and environmentally sound natural rubber value chain
- Auditing 90 percent of major rubber processing partners to date, surpassing the goal of 80 percent
“Safety and sustainability are our core values,” said Nokian Tyres Senior Vice President, Americas Mark Earl. “Through every action we take, we strive to be a responsible member of society for the sake of our customers, our drivers and our planet.”
To download the 2019 Nokian Tyres sustainability report, click here.