Thu February 23 12:00 am 2023 in category Company news
Nokian Tyres Now Hiring Workers to Help Double Production at Dayton Factory
The company will add approximately 125 team members in 2023 as production grows to as many as four million tires per year by 2024
DAYTON, Tenn. – Nokian Tyres is now hiring workers as part of its push to double production at its North American factory in Dayton, Tennessee. The company will bring in approximately 125 new employees this year, and the majority of hiring will take place in March through May. Candidates can apply at NokianTires.com/DaytonFactory.
Most of the new roles are in the factory’s production department. Starting pay for production operator positions ranges from $17 to $21 per hour. Nokian Tyres is also hiring team members to serve in the following areas:
- Information technology
“We are eager to welcome hundreds of new colleagues this year,” said Nokian Tyres Senior Human Resources Manager Blake Markham. “We offer a strong workplace culture and excellent career advancement opportunities at a safe, highly advanced facility.”
Nokian Tyres announced in January that it aims to produce as many as four million tires per year in Dayton by 2024. In the process, it will exceed its initial commitment of 400 employees by growing its workforce to around 475 team members.
The company is also building a 600,000-tire warehouse on the factory’s campus. The facility will join the company’s nine-warehouse network throughout the U.S. and Canada and will serve a growing volume of customers in the sun belt. The company plans to bring the warehouse online by mid-2024.
Nokian Tyres opened its Dayton Factory in fall 2019 and began producing tires for commercial sale in early 2020. The company is adding equipment inside the factory’s existing footprint that will enable it to double production of all-season and all-weather tires at the facility. The expansion will also allow Nokian Tyres to add light truck tires to the Dayton Factory’s product mix in 2023.
In its three-plus years of operations in Dayton, the company has earned recognition for its workplace culture, operations and sustainability. Nokian Tyres was the Chattanooga Regional Manufacturers Association’s Company of the Year in 2021, and the company was the first in Rhea County to receive the prestigious Tennessee Governor’s Environmental Stewardship Award.
The Dayton Factory’s production building is the only tire production facility in the world to possess LEED v4 Silver certification, and its LEED v4 Gold-certified administration building is fully powered by energy generated from onsite solar panels.
About the Dayton Factory
- Nokian Tyres opened its North American production facility in 2019 and began producing tires there for commercial use in January 2020
- The company currently employs approximately 350 workers at the Dayton Factory, a number it will grow to 475 by the end of 2023
- At full capacity, the Dayton Factory will produce as many as four million all-season and all-weather tires annually for sale in the North American market. The facility is scheduled to reach full capacity by 2024
- The new onsite tire storage warehouse will have capacity of 600,000 tires and will open in mid-2024
- The 830,000 square-foot facility includes a LEED v4 Gold-certified administration building, the only LEED v4 Silver-certified tire production building in the world, and a five-story mixing building where the company formulates rubber compounds for the tires it crafts in Dayton
- The Dayton Factory is part of a global production network that also includes Nokian Tyres’ flagship facility in Nokia, Finland. In November 2022, the company announced construction of a new tire production factory in Oradea, Romania, that is estimated to start commercial production in 2025